Sunday, July 4, 2010

Catching up (part 1)

There's so many things to talk about~ I havent been able to post about them yet, so here goes PART of the insanely long update:

Tuesday June 29, 2010 (day after our arrival)--- Orientation in Korea - visit to the 'embassy' (I don't think it was the actual U.S. embassy, but a resource center instead)
^ On the ride there (riding the same bus from the previous post), I saw this bus with an awesome ad lol


^ Right down from the embassy, I see this ginormous, PINK gator. It reminded me of Reservoir :)


^ The sign that was infront of the building


^ The YES International / NSLI-Y / iEARN banner again haha


^ food at the place where we had part of our korea orientation.. YWCA? I dont remember the name exactly


^ MyungDong! the building where we had part of our orientation was here


^ cool ..also in MyungDong


^ The korean soccer team in SUITS


^ CN BLUE's YongHwa <3


^2PM


^ streets of MyungDong


^ wahoo~~ NSLI-Y / YES International gave us a cellphone, 45000 for lunch money, and 60000 for a stipend


^ Migiliore = huge shopping opportunity!


THE NEXT DAY ---Wednesday June 30, 2010 ---  Groups were given a mission (leader picked a piece of paper with the assignment on it). Our group had to go to the Gyobo bookstore in Gangnam and find out the 3 overall bestselling books. Some missions the other groups had included going to Korea University and taking a picture with a student (and his/ her ID) lol, going to a specific subway station and going to the department store there, etc. Pictures of our mission!:
^ first Korean bus ride !


^ saw a palace in the middle of my bus ride


^ I think where the G20 summit will be held? My 'supporter' is volunteering for this


^ a pretty step fountain in front of the bookstore


^ GyoBo Bookstore in Gangnam


^ Bestselling books


^ the top 3 overall bestselling books. MISSION COMPLETE! :)


^ food~ (lunch) with supporters and group


^ streets of Gangnam I think


^ eels? on the side of the street


^ vending machines underground (subways)


^ korean school bus (some schools have them, but you have to pay extra to attend these schools)


So I've been at my host family's house since June 30, 2010 at night: 
^ [first ever in Korea] taxi ride with host-sister to her house



On July 1, 2010, my host mom and I went on a nice walk through the mountains and visited some local shops:
^ the view from host family's house


^ rain~


^ beginning of our walk...passed by a lot of stores


^ the church my host mom goes to


^ the trail leading up...


^ the view from halfway up the mountain! host-mom said that there are mountains behind the buildings, but the fog is blocking the view


^ a budhist temple that we saw while walking in the mountains


^ these make up the roof of hanok houses


^ cool burial place for a past Korean president I think


^ a huge graveyard with pretty hanok houses in the background


^ a nice place to sit down, right behind the graveyard


^ you put a rock in this huge pile of stones to bring luck ( I think)


^ bakery nearby my host family's house. gorgeous cakes!


^ lots of bread at the bakery (host mom and I ate poppingsu there

^ snacks at the local market


^ lots of drinks at the local market


^ candy my host-mom bought for me lol they're so good! 새콤달콤 reminds me of mamba! it doesnt stick to your teeth as much as ..say .. starbursts. I'll be bringing a lot back!


^ cute and hilarious stamps at the local munbanggu (idk how to spell it in korean yet)

No comments:

Post a Comment